Black Pepper Crusted Duck Breast with Cherry Reduction Sauce
January 22, 2021
- 2 5 - 6 oz Duck Breasts
- 2 tbsps Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tsps Olive Oil
- 2 Shallots
- 1 cup Black Cherry Juice
- 1 cup Halved Pitted Cherries, dark and sweet, such as Bing Cherries
- Sauté diced shallots in 1 tbsp olive oil until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add cherry juice and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce by 1/2.
- Add the halved cherries and simmer one additional minute. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 500° F.
- Using a sharp paring knife, score the duck breasts in a diamond shaped pattern. Make sure not to cut all the way through. Drizzle one tsp olive oil over duck and rub with black pepper.
- Place the duck skin side down, in a room temperature cast iron pan. Bake for ten minutes.
- Remove from oven and let duck rest for 5 minutes.
- Return duck to oven and heat for one more minute.
- Slice at an angle, starting from short side.
- Plate duck and spoon cheery reduction over the top.
*Best enjoyed with Étranger by Andrew Murray Vineyards.
Keep up to date on the latest wine releases, events, and promotions.